Chilaquiles are essentially breakfast nachos. This sounds like it shouldn’t be a thing, but in reality it is a great combination. Black beans add some extra protein, and the chipotles add a nice spice. I love breakfast burritos, but this is almost better. Don’t limit yourself by only having these for dinner, have them all day long.
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 or more chipotles in adobo
- 1-2 garlic cloves- minced
- tortilla chips – handful per serving.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pickled red onions
- radishes – sliced thin
- lime wedges
- fresh cilantro
- queso fresco
- Prep mis en place; slice radishes, mince garlic, chop cilantro, slice avocado, prep spice mixture, roughly chop chipotles (wash hands after) .
- Cook black beans.
- In a large pot over medium heat warm 2 tablespoons oil, add garlic, spices, cook until fragrant 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chipotles (with adobo sauce, if desired), cook stirring frequently, until slightly thickened. About 10 minutes.
- Fry the eggs in a small frying pan, over medium high heat, add oil, crack the eggs directly into the pan. Cook until the whites have set and the yolks are slightly runny.
- Stir black beans into tomato sauce, add in tortilla chips. Don’t continue to cook, they will heat through.
- Divide among bowls, add toppings, and fried eggs. Serve warm.