Hey Friends. I hope you are all having a wonderful week. I took a long weekend, so returning to work yesterday was rough. The long weekend though, was incredible. I ate and drank so many things, one of which being this amazing pasta, I can’t wait to share it with you.
This pasta is the first thing I make each Spring, when all of the ingredients come into season. I stalk the grocery store and farmers market for fresh fava beans, and pea shoots. Then when I find every piece of the puzzle, I plan a special dinner for myself. This meal is very simple to make as long as you have all of your ingredients in place and prepped accordingly.
Makes 4 servings
- 3/4 pound long pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic
- 1 pound whole fava beans – less if they are shelled already
- 12 ounces wild mushrooms
- 1/2 cup asparagus tips
- handful of pea shoots – plus more for serving
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup white white
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shell the fava beans, but leave the layer that covers the bean itself. Boil a small pot of water, and season with salt.
- Boil the fava beans, for about 2 minutes. Drain, place in ice water to stop the cooking process, remove the layer from around the bean. Set aside.
- Boil water for the pasta, season with salt.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter, and the olive oil.
- Add the garlic, and the mushrooms. Lightly sauté. Remove and put in a separate bowl.
- Add the other tablespoon of butter and the asparagus tips. Season with salt. Cook until softened, but still have a little crunch to them. Remove and set aside.
- Boil the pasta according to directions on the box.
- In the now empty skillet, add the vegetable stock and the white wine. Bring to a boil stirring constantly (about 5 minutes), and cook until reduced slightly.
- Off the heat add in the heavy cream, stir, add in the lemon juice.
- Return to the heat and reduce over low heat heat for about 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, asparagus, fava beans, pea shoots, and herbs stir to combine.
- After you’ve drained the pasta place in a large bowl, add in the contents of the skillet and toss gently with tongs.
- Serve, Garnish with more pea shoots, and herbs if desired, season as necessary.