Hey Friends. I hope you are all having a wonderful week. Nick and I took a long weekend, because it was our anniversary, but returning to work yesterday was rough. The long weekend though, was incredible. We ate and drank so many things, one of which being this amazing pasta, I can’t wait to share it with you.
This pasta is the first thing I make each Spring, when all of the ingredients come into season. I stalk the grocery store and farmers market for fresh fava beans, and pea shoots. Then when I find every piece of the puzzle, I plan a special dinner for Nick and myself. This meal is very simple to make as long as you have all of your ingredients in place and prepped accordingly.
Makes 4 servings
- 3/4 pound long pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic
- 1 pound whole fava beans – less if they are shelled already
- 12 ounces wild mushrooms
- 1/2 cup asparagus tips
- handful of pea shoots – plus more for serving
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup white white
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shell the fava beans, but leave the layer that covers the bean itself. Boil a small pot of water, and season with salt.
- Boil the fava beans, for about 2 minutes. Drain, place in ice water to stop the cooking process, remove the layer from around the bean. Set aside.
- Boil water for the pasta, season with salt.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter, and the olive oil.
- Add the garlic, and the mushrooms. Lightly sauté. Remove and put in a separate bowl.
- Add the other tablespoon of butter and the asparagus tips. Season with salt. Cook until softened, but still have a little crunch to them. Remove and set aside.
- Boil the pasta according to directions on the box.
- In the now empty skillet, add the vegetable stock and the white wine. Bring to a boil stirring constantly (about 5 minutes), and cook until reduced slightly.
- Off the heat add in the heavy cream, stir, add in the lemon juice.
- Return to the heat and reduce over low heat heat for about 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, asparagus, fava beans, pea shoots, and herbs stir to combine.
- After you’ve drained the pasta place in a large bowl, add in the contents of the skillet and toss gently with tongs.
- Serve, Garnish with more pea shoots, and herbs if desired, season as necessary.